Whilst apprentices, as employees, are not covered by safeguarding as defined in The Children’s Act 2004, Derwent Training and your employer still have a duty of care to ensure that you are studying and learning in a safe and healthy environment.
Your employer will have had a health and safety check initially but it is important to be aware of any issues so that they can be addressed to ensure you are not at risk. Derwent Training will have regular reviews tripartite with the employer and yourself. If you or the employer feels it is too important to wait, then the concern should be reported immediately by contacting the Designated Safeguarding Officer, Gary Simm on 01653 697698.
Derwent Training is committed to providing a safe and secure learning environment for everyone. Derwent Training ha a legal duty to work with other agencies to prevent vulnerable people from significant harm, and to respond to all safeguarding issues. Radicalisation is the process where individuals come to support terrorism or violent extremism in any form. We recognise the positive contribution we can make to protecting everyone from all types of radicalisation and extreme violence.
Therefore, Derwent Training will continue to empower learners to create resilient communities that protect the well-being of everyone who may be drawn in to extremism or crime. This will be done through discussions in classes and with your Trainer. For example, learners may look at how extremists from animal rights groups use social media to recruit others, or how groups within Britain deliberately create hatred towards others.
Learners will also explore what it means to live and work in Britain. For example, this will include examining how democracy works and the part you play in that, discussing how tolerance and respects for those with faith and those with none is an important part of living in Britain, developing your own ideas and entrepreneurship.
If you have any Safeguarding or Prevent issues, please contact a member of the team below:
- Safeguarding Lead – Gary Simm – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prevent Coordinator – Claire Gavaghan – email@example.com
- Safeguarding Administrator – Lauren Heslington – firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to access Derwent Training’s Safeguarding and Prevent Policy
Helpful links for support and advice | Don't Suffer in Silence
- Samaritans - Support if you are struggling to cope - 116 123 (24/7) | email@example.com (24-hour response time)
- PAPYRUS - Confidential suicide prevention for young people - 0800 0684141 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Give us a Shout - Text helpline for anyone struggline and in need of immediate help - Text 'Shout' to 85258 (24/7)
- Refuge - Helpline for those suffering from domestic abuse - 0808 2000 247 (24/7)
- Men's Advice Line - Advice and support for men experiencing domestic violence and abuse - 0808 801 0327
- Anxiety UK - Confidential advice and support for those suffering with anxiety - 03444 775 774 (Monday - Friday 9:30am - 5:30pm)
- Frank - Honest information about drugs - 0300 1236600
- Let's Talk About It - Working together to prevent terrorism
- Educate Against Hate - Resources for Teachers, Parents and School Leaders to safeguard students from radicalisation.
- Rehab4Addiction - Advice for those seeking recovery from addiction.
- Andys Man Club - A non-judgemental place where men can talk if they want, or just listen. Every Monday at 7pm. Scarborough Library, Vernon Road, Scarborough, YO11 2NN